Clinisoothe+ teamed up with skincare experts Megan and Ksenia from Lionne, the consultants who listen to your skin frustrations and help you make informed decisions about your skincare choices. The agenda? Maskne.
Have you noticed that by wearing a mask (even 1 hour per day) your skin is now more prone to congestion & inflammation? We know, ‘maskne’ has officially become the hottest skin condition of 2020! So, knowing how to deal with it is equally as important as knowing why SPF is essential.
Our skin needs to breathe, especially throughout the day to make sure that oil, sweat, and other substances are excreted naturally! By breathing into the mask and covering it from the outside world, we are increasing the humidity and moisture level within our skin’s environment. After all, it is basically like breathing in and out of a “confined” space!
More than just waking up skin moods, masks can also lead to the rise of skin conditions such as rosacea and acne - specifically acne mechanica (caused by friction of the mask). Therefore, treating your skin with this new skin mood in mind is essential to making sure it remains healthy, even in these crazy times. How can you know if your skin is affected by ‘maskne’?
Is your skin more congested than usual?
Congestion is caused by pores that are clogged with sebum and/or dead skin cells. Therefore, if you see small whiteheads and blackheads on the areas where your mask touches/covers your skin, it may well be ‘maskne’! In addition, if unusual breakouts appear in this area, they may also be caused by acne mechanica or from internal inflammation.
Don’t forget that with breakouts, it is difficult to find the root of the problem, as they come from a complex cycle of essentially independent factors that then impact one another. Having said that, if your skin is prone to acne or unusual breakouts, masks can accentuate the inflammation level due to its friction with the skin!
Finally, if your skin is suffering from a skin condition such as rosacea, eczema, or is prone to dermatitis reactions: ‘maskne’ can be the culprit for triggering these! To those with sensitive skin, it means you can add masks to your list of triggers!
How to adapt your daily skin routine to keep maskne at bay
- First, you want to make sure that your skin has minimal products on the skin when wearing the mask. Make sure to apply only the necessary make-up. Antioxidants + SPF are your bare essentials in the morning.
- Avoid any comedogenic ingredients/products that don’t allow the skin to breathe, as they will most likely cause congestion such as blackheads, whiteheads, and a general dull appearance of the skin.
- Make sure to cleanse your skin once back home. This is essential to preserve the eco-flora of your skin. NOTE: This cleanse should be super gentle if you plan on cleansing the skin for your evening regime. Therefore, go to gentle cleansers (creamy/gel) that won’t disrupt the barrier function of your skin. We love using the Clinisoothe + spray at this time, as it helps to calm down the skin after a long day!
- Choose your mask right! Synthetic materials will keep more moisture and create heat than those made with natural materials like cotton! And of course, if you are using a cotton mask don’t forget to wash it in the washing machine (just like you would wash your muslin cloths).
- If you’re on the go, you can also carry Clinisoothe+ with you and mist your face once you reach your destination.
Try Clinisoothe+ Skin Purifier, a gentle product to add to your skincare routine. Simply spritz your skin after cleansing and allow the product to soothe redness or irritation.
Megan is a Lionne Consultant and Skin Expert. After a long journey to find her own ideal skincare regime that manages her Rosacea and skin sensitivity, she is passionate about sharing her experience and helping her clients to have the same success with their skin. Megan specialises in designing skincare regimes for those with a compromised skin barrier, eczema, and rosacea.
Ksenia is a Lionne Consultant, skin expert, and skin health guru. She is extremely passionate about helping women and men find their ideal skincare regime and empowering them to be informed skincare consumers. Ksenia specialises in breakout prone, oily, and combination skin! Everything that has to do with oil-flow fascinates her!